blackflower

So Many Books, So Little Time

I read everything. Unless it's not good.
Delirium  - Lauren Oliver This book seemed pretty boring at first. The premise is compelling: love as a disease. It's felt that way, sometimes. But all the lovey-dovey stuff was boring me. I know it's necessary, especially in a book like this, but I was still wondering what happened to the plot.

And then, all of a sudden the pace ratcheted up and I remember thinking: woah, ish got REAL. Some quick revelations will do that to you. I'm tired of all young adult books being a series and requiring cliffhangers, but I suppose sometimes authors need more than one book to tell a story. In all fairness, this was a pretty good cliffhanger, because I have no idea how it's going to resolve itself.

Reminded me of the Giver (the idea of the loveless family structure, etc) but that's one of my favorite YA books, and therefore not a problem. I also liked the quotes at the beginning of the chapter. The world in practice is not so much different than our own, and so it's nice to see some subtle world building.

The last few chapters were so good I'll forgive this book for being boring in the middle.