blackflower

So Many Books, So Little Time

I read everything. Unless it's not good.
Beauty Queens - Libba Bray I enjoyed this book, but I felt like the satire was a little TOO over the top at times. I mean, I got it pretty quickly, and I don't think it takes a lot to get the message. Perhaps that was the point. That's fine, but I felt like I was getting beaten over the head.

I was actually surprised at the treatment of the African-American character. I knew exactly where she was coming from. I've been in Nicole-like situations all my life. I was happy to see that the author talked to a former Black pageant queen, but it made sense, because I felt that was an extremely authentic portrayal of a Black girl growing up in a mostly White environment.

I was really happy that Adina did not get back with the guy who betrayed her. I know it was a small thing, but that really pleased me.

I thought the author could have cut out some of the characters. Miss New Mexico, Miss Ohio, Miss Arkansas, and Miss Montana didn't even have names in the prologue. And there was a bit near the end where we found out they all were named Caitlin Ashley. So they were all interchangeable? What was the point? Even though Ashley is a fine name, I thought these characters could have either been developed more or tossed.

Despite my criticisms this was a hilarious book and I really enjoyed it. Very fun read.