blackflower

So Many Books, So Little Time

I read everything. Unless it's not good.
Fifty Shades of Grey - E.L. James I'm giving this 1.5 stars. There are a lot of problems. It's too long. There are lots of grammatical errors and weird word decisions. For example, in her sexual excitement, why does Ana shout "Aargh"? That's such a weird sound to make. Why not just say she moaned or gasped or sighed? Let us imagine what sounds she makes.

I don't understand Ana and Grey's attraction to each other. Sure, he's hot, but he's kind of weird and doesn't seem to have much going for him. He's also super-mercurial. Ana is boring, virginal (not that there's anything wrong with that) and clumsy. Those are pretty much her character traits. I can't believe that Grey is excited by her because of the fact she defies him. There was no one else that said no to him? Really? She's it? And that's all it takes for him to break down all of these deep-seated psychological barriers and start to love her? I don't read a lot of romance so maybe this is always how these books go.

The .5 star, embarrassingly enough, is because I kind of sort of want to know what happens next. I'm telling myself it's a morbid curiosity. Even though I laughed as Ana clutched the helicopter Mylar balloon and cried, I wondered how they would get back together. I'm not sure what that says about me. Probably that I have my own deep seated issues.