blackflower

So Many Books, So Little Time

I read everything. Unless it's not good.
Fun Home - Alison Bechdel I mainly wanted to pick up this book because my family owns a funeral home. Often my mother (who works there) and I will shorten funeral home to "fun home", just like the title of this book. Imagine my surprise to find out that this book has very little to do with the day to day workings of a funeral home and more to do with the author's family life.

At times this book made me very uncomfortable. Alison seems to have had a very stringent and difficult family life, at least at first. Her parents seem profoundly unhappy (my perception of this has a lot to do with the drawings, which make her parents seem very tight-lipped and drawn in their faces), and of course that kind of situation can trickle down to affect the children. But reading about Alison's sexual awakening, and how she compares and contrasts her own sexual journey with her father's, was very moving and perhaps the brighest part of the book for me.

There are a lot of literary connections throughout this book as well. I didn't see this coming, and since I haven't read a lot of the books referenced (James Joyce, Oscar Wilde, etc etc) I felt a little bit lost. But I thought it was an interesting way to express the different scenes of one's life. Now I'm thinking about what books I could compare and contrast my life to.