blackflower

So Many Books, So Little Time

I read everything. Unless it's not good.
For Darkness Shows the Stars - Diana Peterfreund I got a little into this book and then I realized..............wait, this is a book about slavery. And I tried to think, no, wait, maybe I'm missing something...but yeah, it's totally a book about slavery. And as my friend Jill Heather said (I'm paraphrasing here), no matter how nice the slave owner is, she's still a slave owner. And then she gets to take her favorite slave and run off, leaving the slaves to run the estate. Her horrible father doesn't get punished. Her marginally less horrible sister doesn't get punished. Everyone gets what they want, but the Reduced and Posts are still tied to the estate. In fact, some of the Posts LOVE Elliot SO MUCH that they come back when she's in charge. Really? Because that totally happened in slavery.

I get that the Reduced need extra help. But dang, let the Reduced and the Posts decide what they want to do. By leaving, Elliot basically still forces them to stay.

The love story was good, in a will-they-won't-they sort of way. But I was sure that Kai and Elliot would eventually get back together. And the slavery aspect was totally unsavory. Diana Peterfreund, please stick to your somewhat-less-problematic unicorn stories, please.