blackflower

So Many Books, So Little Time

I read everything. Unless it's not good.
Three Parts Dead - Max Gladstone I have loved fantasy for a very long time, thanks to my nerdy fairy godmother. But I always had trouble finding books with characters who look like me. By that, I mean female and Black. Obviously that doesn't mean that I don't connect with protagonists who are not like me. But when I found a character who was like me, I jumped on that book/story.

Imagine my surprise and delight when I read about this book, and then not ten minutes later my husband mentions that he's heard of this book online and I should probably read it. When I saw the cover I clapped my hands together gleefully.

And then I started to read it.

A lot is thrown at you very quickly. I feel like this book only scratched the surface of the world it creates. I want to learn more about the God Wars, I want to see more of Tara's schooling, I want to see more of the side characters, I want to find out what happens after the events of the book. There is so much more to see and do and learn!

Tara is a wonderfully complex character. She practices Craft, which seems to be some mixture of lawyering and magic and understanding of how the world works. She's asked to make some difficult decisions, which she does in a flawed but compelling manner. She is both a master of her Craft and set aside from other Craftsmen/Craftswomen, because she has not yet lost her humanity.

Some parts of this read like a crime procedural. Some parts read like a religious text. Still others read like a murder mystery. And somehow it all works. I have to confess I didn't always get the big reveals, but I think that's due to the intricate nature of the story. (I'm not the best at reading comprehension) It started slow and then drew me in. More. I want to know more. This may be one of the rare books that I reread, hoping fervently for a sequel.